Friday, August 13, 2010

Piracy is Bad; Defacing Cinema Classics is Worse

I'm sure most people have already seen this, but here we go:





I'm pretty sure this disgrace is at least two years old, but I saw it only for the first time just last night. I had finally picked up "The Dark Knight" and was preparing to enjoy the movie everyone has been raving about for so long. Lucky me, I got a double feature: The Dark Knight and the annihilation of Casablanca.

Piracy and copyright warnings piss me off enough for the sole reason that they treat everyone like a criminal. I'm not condoning or condemning piracy, because that's really not the point. It's insulting enough that, because everyone is a potential criminal, Big Brother has security cameras in every store and piracy warnings in every movie(I'm not even going to go into how insane it is to think that one of these absurd piracy warnings is going to deter someone from pirating DVDs.), but they took it a step further and taint one of the most beautiful movies ever made.

I know I said I wasn't going to condone or condemn piracy, but Casablanca is such an amazing movie, I sure hope there are people pirating it and giving it to their friends. Hell, even if you're selling it, I'm still okay with that as long as you're not overcharging for it. In that case, you're a dick.

I'd much rather there be accessible, pirated copies of Casablanca floating around for everyone to enjoy than see one of the greatest movies ever, and probably the best romance ever, reduced to nothing but one of many shameless illusions we perpetuate in attempt to correct society. This may seem overblown, but I don't think I'll ever be able to watch that scene of Casablanca the same way again. Thank you for making me hate one of my favorite movies, Warner Bros..

At least Dark Knight wound up being good.

No comments:

Post a Comment